www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Myrtleford Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

10-May-2014
10-May-2014

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The hall commemorates district soldiers who fought and fell in the First World War. The hall was officially opened on the 13th October 1925. Extensions were added to the hall in 1938 and 1967. 

The new memorial hall was officially opened on Tuesday under favourable circumstances. There was a very large gathering, including many former residents who had not been here for many years, Mr. G. F. Hopkins being chairman. Proceedings opened with the rendering of the National Anthem by the town band, followed by prayer by Mr. McQueen, Methodist Home Missions. After a few remarks, a memorial tablet was unveiled by Chap. Maj. H. H. Mitchell, officiating in place of Mr. David, who was seriously ill. The marble tablet contained the following in imperishable lettering: — ''Sacred to the Memory of District Soldiers who fought, and died in the Great War, 1914-19. Lest We Forget.' After the sounding of the Last Post by Bandmaster A. Pearce, a laurel wreath was attached to the tablet by Mrs. Jas. Clark, widow of the late Jas. Clark, first supervisor of soldier settlements. Cr. T. Seamer, president of Bright Shire Council, then formally declared the Soldiers' Memorial Hall duly opened. The large audience entered the hall, which was packed. Several gentlemen occupied the stage, and after the band had played "Lead, Kindly Light," addresses were delivered by Major Mitchell, Rev. F. Kennedy, D.S.O., Crs. Seamer, O'Grady and Vincent, and Mr. Robert Milne, of Melbourne, a native of Myrtleford and one of its leading public men for many years. The visiting speakers congratulated the local soldiers and the general public on the magnificent hall they had provided. Major Mitchell saying it was the best he had seen in any country town in Victoria.

Cr. O'Grady, on behalf of the committee, announced that the amount paid to date on hall, furnishing, electric light, &c, was £2454. There was a loan liability of £1000, and it was anticipated that £500 more would have to be raised. Father Kennedy, who said he had so far not been able to assist in the work of providing the hall, handed a donation of £5 to the chairman. Mr. R. Milne, on behalf of Mrs. Clark, asked the hall committee to accept an enlarged portrait, of the late Mr. Jas. Clark, and also one of Mr. A. D. Lowerson, V.C., a Myrtleford boy and a soldier settler. The afternoon's proceedings concluded with the singing of Kipling's Recessional.
Albury Banner and Wodonga Express (NSW), 16 October 1925.

 

Location

Address:Myrtle Street (Great Alpine Road), Myrtleford, 3737
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.560476
Long: 146.723538
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:March-1925
Front Inscription

MYRTLEFORD MEMORIAL HALL
 

Plaque:
ERECTED 
In Memory Of Those
DISTRICT SOLDIERS
Who Fought And Fell In The
GREAT WAR 
1914 - 1918.
Lest We Forget
March 1925

Source: MA,VMHI,RSLV,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design