www.monumentaustralia.org.au

The Cross of SacrificePrint Page Print this page

St Peters War Memorial
St Peters War Memorial

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Graeme Saunders

Memorial is a bronze statue of a crucified Christ on a sandstone pedestal which was unveiled in 1924 by the Governor General and blessed by the Anglican Archbishop of Melbourne.

It commemorates the 366 young men and women from the Anglican Church of St Peter who served in World War One.

Under the superintendence of Mr. A.C. Morley, a 6 ft bronze figure of Christ was obtained from an English artist, through Messrs. Mowbray and Co., of London and Oxford. The sacred Figure was to be hung on a Calvary Cross of stone standing 22 ft high, of Pyrmont freestone, specially obtained from Sydney for the purpose, the whole surmounted by a pent roof of slate. The task of constructing and erecting the Calvary Cross at the corner of Albert and Gisborne Streets, on the topmost point of Eastern Hill, was entrusted to a local firm, Messrs. Lodge Bros., assisted by Miss Brockelbank, whose technical knowledge and general oversight of the work proved of the utmost value.

The "Cross of Sacrifice" — the war memorial erected to the memory of the men from St Peter`s Parish, Melbourne, who served in the war was unveilied yesterday by His Excellency the Governor General (Lord Forster). The dedication ceremony was performed by Archbishop Lees.
The Argus (Melbourne), 17 March 1924.

Location

Address:15 Gisborne Street, St. Peters Eastern Hill, East Melbourne, 3002
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.809665
Long: 144.975378
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Cross
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Monument Manufacturer:Lodge Brothers (Melbourne, VIC)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 16th March, 1924
Front Inscription

INVICTUS PAX 1914 - 1918

Back Inscription

This wayside crucifix was unveiled on 16 March 1924 by the Governor General and blessed by the Anglican Archibishop of Melbourne.

It is a war memorial to honour, in the first instance, the 366 young men and women who went out from this city Anglican Church of St. Peter, to serve in the Great War.

Through the generations it has remained a lovingly tended place of remembrance,devotion and prayer.

INVICTUS PAX "Peace to the unconquered" 1914 - 1918

Source: MA,RSLV,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design