Shrine of RemembrancePrint Page
A marble mausoleum modelled partly on the design of the monument erected in 353 BC at Halicarnassus by Queen Artemisia in memory of her husband King Mausolus.
It is dedicated to those of Victoria who served and died in World War One. The Shrine of Remembrance is Victoria’s principal war memorial and the focus for commemorative ceremonies and marches. It was built between July 1928 and November 1934 in remembrance of the 114 000 men and women of Victoria who served, and those who died, in World War One.
The Duke of Gloucester dedicated Melbourne’s Shrine of Remembrance at the Domain before an audience of over 300,000 people.
The Tympana are sculptures at the northern and souther ends of the Shrine.
The Northern Tympana is "The call to arms" and shows a winged goddess symbolic of Mother England is calling her children to defend her. The Southern Tympana is "The Homecoming" showing Australia at peace.
At each corner of the Shrine, buttresses support a large statues sculpted by Paul Montford and are titled Patriotism, Justice, Peace and Goodwill, Sacrifice
|Address:||Birdwood Avenue, Melbourne, 3000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.830546|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Designers : Philip Hudson & James Wardrop (Melbourne, VIC)Sculptor : Paul Montford|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 11th November, 1934|
Let all men know that this is holy ground.
Neither decay nor time shall ruin this Shrine, for it is built, not only in stone, but also in the hearts of men.
Therefore, instead of pity, praise.
The sacrifice of a nation lies here.
This monument was erected by a grateful people to the honoured memory of the men and women of Victoria who served the empire in the Great War of 1914 - 1918