ANZAC HillPrint Page
Anzac Hill commemorates those who served in World War One.
Towards the end of World War One, the community of Maldon decided to erect a memorial to honour the Maldon men who had served during the war and the plan was formed to establish what we now know as ANZAC Hill.
The extensive avenue of trees was planted on the hill. The trees were donated by the people of Maldon and planted by volunteers.
After the war, a Turkish field gun, used at Gallipoli was obtained from official sources and placed on the hill as a memorial. The gun fell into disrepair but was restored in 1988 as an Australian Bicentenary Project
Anzac Hill was officially opened by Cr. Bowen (president of the Maldon Shire) on Saturday afternoon in the presence of a large assemblage, and in glorious weather. Avenues of trees have been planted on the sides and summit, and protected by guards, each tree being erected as a mark of respect to Maldon men who have fallen in battle, or died on active service, and also the old pioneers of the Maldon district.
Castlemaine Mail (Vic), 6 November 1917.
|Address:||Anzac Hill Road, ANZAC Hill, Maldon, 3463|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.000624|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 3rd November, 1917|
Returned Services League
Bicentennial Year Project - 1988
Restoration of German-made Turkish
Gun used against Australian Forces at
Gallipoli in 1915.
Assisted by generous contributions from
the citizens of Maldon.