www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Hopetoun Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

24-January-2016
24-January-2016

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders / Roger Johnson

The Memorial Hall commemorates those who served in World War One.   It was officially opened by Senator Elliott on the 14th April 1923. 

The Soldiers' Memorial Hall was opened on Saturday at Hopetoun, when the memorial tablet was unveiled and the clubroom was handed over for use. Those present included Brigadier - General Elliott, Mr. G. L. Goudie, M.L.C, and Mr D. Allison, M.L.A. The building is of brick. The main hall is 65ft. in length and 40ft. in width, and there are reading room and library. The diggers' club room on the second story is 20ft. x 20ft. The memorial tablet was unveiled by mothers of deceased soldiers. The hall was officially opened by Brigadier-General Elliott. Mr C. Wright, president of the local branch of the Returned Soldiers' Association, accepted the club-room on behalf of returned soldiers, and thanked the public for the generous gift.
Weekly Times (Melbourne), 21 April 1923.

Location

Address:14 Austin Street, Hopetoun, 3396
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.727549
Long: 142.364285
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 14th April, 1923
Front Inscription

MEMORIAL HALL 

A. D. 1922

Plaque :

THIS BUILDING WAS ERECTED 
— By —
A Grateful Public
As A Tribute To The Men Of
Hopetoun And District
Who Fought In The Great War
1914 - 1918.
A Monument To Those Who Fell.

This Tablet Was Unveiled By Bereaved Mothers.

Source: MA,RSLV,SKP,VWHI
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design