ANZAC Avenue of Honour Print Page
ANZAC Avenue of Honour at Ferny Creek (also known as Sassafras Avenue of Honour) extends along a section of the Mount Dandenong Tourist Road that was known as ANZAC Avenue and commemorates those who served in World War One. Unfortunately only some of the trees survive and many have been severely pruned, possibly as a result of road widening and services.
On 14 April 1920, Capatin Stanley Melbourne Bruce MHR opened the Anzac Avenue of Honour at Ferny Creek. This ceremony was the culmination of work that commenced in mid 1916 by Sassafras - Ferny Creek residents to rember local veterans who served in World War One with the planting of an avenue of honour on the newly constructed section of road into Sassafras. Unfortunately little evidence of the Avenue of Honour has survived to the present day.
The idea for the avenue originated at a public farewell at Sassafras in July 1916. The trees were planted on both sides of the road in memory of the boys from Sassafras and Ferny Creek who enlisted in World War One. A short time after the trees were planted the Defence Department granted the use of the word "ANZAC ".
Letter to the Editor, The Argus. 23rd April 1918.
|Address:||Tourist Road, North & South of Sherbrooke Road intersection, Ferny Creek, 3786|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.875526|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Avenue of Honour|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||July-1916|