Echuca War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

07-September-2006 (Kent Watson)
07-September-2006 (Kent Watson)

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Graeme Saunders / Sandra Brown / Chris McLaughlin

A monument commemorates the servicemen and servicewomen who served in World War One and was originally unveiled in High Street in 1927.  At the time of the unveiling in 1927, a bronze honour roll was unveiled on the Town Hall facade. After 1971 the monument and the honour roll panels were moved to the Civic Centre Gardens on Hare Street. The panels are now attached to brick walls at the site. The monument now commemorates all wars and conflicts.

Monument characteristics :

A marble statue of a World War One soldier, with arms reversed, standing on a tall column. The column rests on a rectangular pedestal on a six-sided columned plinth on a three-stepped base.


Address:Hare Street , Civic Centre Gardens , Echuca, 3564
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.123532
Long: 144.748606
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 16th November, 1927
Front Inscription


The glorious dead

Left Side Inscription

Honor Roll

1914  The Great War  1918 

[ Names ]

"Lest We Forget".

This memorial was unveiled on 16th Nov. 1927 by Brig.-General J. K. Forsyth C.M.G. D.S.O.

Back Inscription


The glorious dead

Right Side Inscription

The Great War.
1914 .1918

Erected by the people of Echuca and District in grateful remembrance of those who gave their lives for King and Empire


Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design