Peace Memorial BridgePrint Page
The Peace Memorial Bridge was opened for traffic on the 24th August 1919. The bridge commemorates the declaration of peace in 1919 and is also dedicated to those who gave their lives to save civilisation.
The Treaty of Versailles was one of the peace treaties at the end of World War One. It ended the state of war between Germany and the Allied Powers. It was signed on 28 June 1919, exactly five years after the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. The other Central Powers on the German side of World War One were dealt with in separate treaties. Although the armistice signed on 11 November 1918, ended the actual fighting, it took six months of negotiations at the Paris Peace Conference to conclude the peace treaty.
|Address:||Lonsdale Street (Princes Highway), near Webster Street, Dandenong, 3175|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.992508|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Robert Woodcock (Shire Engineer)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 24th August, 1919|