Wallerawang War MemorialPrint Page
Wallerawang War Memorial was originally erected in memory of those from the district who served in World War One. Two flanking sandstone walls were added to the memorial in 2011 to commemorate those who served in World War Two and later conflicts.
Wallerawang's memorial to the soldiers who enlisted from the village, including those who fell, was unveiled on Saturday afternoon Mrs. R. Bulkeley, the name of whose son appears amongst the killed on the tablet. The memorial, which stands directly opposite the railway station, is a handsome piece of work. Resting on a freestone base it is composed of trachyte and granite and the names of the soldiers are in gold lettering on two sides. On another side of the tablet is the inscription, "Erected in honor the citizens of Wallerawang who served the cause of freedom in the great war, 1914- 1918," and " The Path of Duty was the way to Glory." There is an iron railing around the monument, and on the cement bed numerous shells from Lord Howe Island have been placed. The contractor was Mr. R. J. Paterson, of Katoomba, and the memorial is a credit to him.
Lithgow Mercury (NSW), 18 June 1920.
|Address:||Main Street, Outside Railway Station, Wallerawang, 2845|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.407777|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr R J Paterson (Katoomba)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 12th June, 1920|
Erected In Honour
Citizens Of Wallerawang
The Cause Of Freedom
In The Great War
1914 - 1918
"The Path Of Duty
Was The Way To Glory"
Lest We Forget