Seaham School of Arts Memorial GatePrint Page
A gate commemorates those who served in World War One.
SEAHAM. The unveiling ceremony of the Seaham Soldiers Memorial Gate at the front of the School of Arts on Sunday, 24th instant, was, from every point of view, an unqualified success, and far exceeded, the most sanguine expectations. Willing helpers were there in good time and arranged seating accommodation around the gate in the form of a hollow square, with the Union Jack covering the gate. Good friends had been on the scene the previous day and gave the grounds a careful clean up, and everything looked spic and span.
The two Anzac trees (silky oaks) planted in the enclosure on the first anniversary had been worked around and stood out as sentinels to guard the memorial gate. Punctually at 11 o'clock Mr. J. W. Boag, as president of the Returned Soldiers' Association, took the chair and called upon the gathering to join in the singing of the National Anthem, with Miss Katie Boag at the piano. This was followed by the Rev. J. S. Rapkins engaging in prayer, ending with the Lord's Prayer, in which all most reverently joined, thus solemnising the momentous and ever-to-be-remembered occasion.
The chairman extended a hearty welcome to all, especially emphasising the pleasure at the presence of several returned men. He spoke of the twofold object of the meeting, that of celebratlng the immortal landing on Gallipoli and the unveiling of the memorial gate as an outward and visible sign for the lads who had enlisted from Seaham. He paid a tribute of appreciation to Messrs. Meldrum and Markey, of Newcastle, who performed the work at the price agreed upon six months previously, notwithstanding prices and wages had gone up.
The Maitland Daily Mercury (NSW), 2 May 1921.
|Address:||10 Warren Street , Seaham School of Arts & Community Hall, Seaham, 2324|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.661538|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Messrs Meldrum & Markey (Newcastle)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 24th April, 1921|
ROLL OF HONOUR