Numulgi Roll of HonourPrint Page
Numulgi Roll of Honour commemorates those from the district who served in World War One.
The Numulgi Soldiers' Memorial Hall, was altogether too small to accommodate the large number who desired to take part in and witness the unveiling of the complete honour roll and war trophy on Tuesday evening last. This was not to be wondered, at, as Numulgi is recognised as one of the most patriotic centres on the Richmond River, and did much towards contributing to funds and providing comforts for those whom they had sent abroad. Of the 37 enlistments no less than 16 paid the supreme sacrifice, 7 were wounded, 3 disabled and 2 gassed. Among the distinguished visitors present were Matron Smith and Nurse McNamara, of the Lismore District Hospital, the former performing the unveiling ceremony. Mr. R. W. Simes presided, and read apologies from Messrs. G. Nesbitt, R. S. Perdriau, and T. J. Swiney, M's.L.A., Mrs. Hindmarsh, president of Lismore Red Cross Society, Dr. Bignell, Dr. Aspinall, and Dr. and Mrs. Kellas. The proceedings opened with the singing of "God Save the King." During an interval in the proceedings a flashlight photo was taken of those assembled in the building, and later another one of distinguished visitors, returned soldiers, honour roll and war trophy on the platform, by Mr. W. G Parker, of the Radford Studios, Lismore.
The chairman stated he was pleased to see such a fine gathering of the residents, of Numulgi on such a unique occasion. Not much was printed in the newspapers about the centre, but it was able to boast of many things in which they felt a pride, chief among which was the loyal patriotism they had shown during the dark days of the war. Numulgi could be reckoned as one of the historic spots on the Richmond River, claiming the distinction of being the first centre to hold a ploughing match—and the only one ever held—as far back as the year 1890, the winner turning up in Mr. Matthew Bulmer, now of Casino. A black boy, under the age of 18, also won a match. Numulgi came into prominence in later years in connection with the great war, Mr. T. Langdon being the first volunteer for active service abroad. Subsequently it came into greater prominence by the many sacrifice made by its soldiers, probably greater sacrifices in proportion to its population than any other place in the whole of the Commonwealth. Of those who had left for the other side fully 50 per cent, never returned, and of those who were fortunate to reach home every one of them took his share in the firing line, and with one or two exceptions through illness all were in the thick of the battle. The function for which they had assembled that evening reminded them the people of Numulgi were still doing their part. Messrs.F. Elliott, W. Monigal and F. Crowther had been appointed trustees for the war trophy, which they had accepted, further reminding the people that was another record day in their history, added to by the unveiling of the honour roll and the placing of the war trophy in the building as something to perpetuate the memory of the brave boys who did their bit at the front.
They did not want to look upon the gun simply as something won from the enemy, but as something which would create enthusiasm in their hearts, causing the people to act up to their principles and promises made to them when they left to go and fight their battles on the other side. Their soldiers, had done great and noble work, their pluck being equalled but never surpassed, and largely through their efforts victory had been brought about. They had met that evening to honour them, and to show they were grateful and thankful to them for the noble deeds performed. They were glad also that the trophy they were taking possession of had been won by their own deeds on the front line. Those who were unable to go felt privileged in doing something at home to assist towards comfort on the other side. He thanked them for the honour conferred on him in being asked to preside, and hoped Numulgi would continue to make history, and in the days to come would look back with pride on the great things achieved for those who had enlisted. The chairman stated that in order that every returned man in Numulgi should have a fair deal, each battalion was put in the hat and drawn for. The first out was that of Mr. P. Gaffney, 26th Batt., and the gun they would see that night was captured by that battalion.
Northern Star (Lismore, NSW), 24 September 1921.
|Address:||Duncan Road, Numulgi Public Hall, Numulgi, 2480|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.744077|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Honour Roll|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 20th September, 1921|