Hankinson FountainPrint Page
The Hankinson Fountain commemorates those who from the district who served in World War One. The Hankinson Fountain was smashed by an act of vandalism in 1971 and was restored by Charles Pearce.
Manufactured by the Royal Doulton Company of England, the fountain is one of only two known to be in existence, the other located in India. It was given to the people of Narrandera by Alderman and Mrs Hankinson in 1922 in honour of locals who served in World War One.
The erection of the fountain which Ald. R. H. Hankinson is presenting to the residents is now nearing completion. The fountain, which is of green Doulton ware, will indeed be an ornament to the Memorial Gardens. It is of handsome design, and in every way suitable for erection in the gardens. A glazed name plate on which appears the following inscription is affixed to the top of the concrete basin, and explains the reason of its being presented to the residents:—' In honor of all those in Narandera (sic) and District who served in the Great War, 1914-1918. Presented by Ald. R. H. and Mrs. Hankinson, 1922. The erection of the fountain is being carried out by Messrs F. Lindley and W. Whitwell. The fountain will probably be officially turned on on Anzac Day.
Narandera Argus and Riverina Advertiser (NSW), 20 April 1923.
|Address:||East Street & Victoria Square, Memorial Gardens, Narrandera, 2700|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.747202|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1922|
THE HANKINSON FOUNTAIN
THE CERAMIC FOUNTAIN
MADE BY ROYAL DOULTON WAS,
PRESENTED TO THE PEOPLE OF NARRANDERA
BY ALD. AND MRS HANKINSON
"IN HONOUR OF ALL THOSE IN NARRANDERA
AND DISTRICT WHO SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR