Narrabri District Soldiers MemorialPrint Page
Narrabri District Soldiers Memorial was a clock tower erected at the Town Hall to commemorate those from the district who lost their lives in World War One. The original clock and the memorial plaques were unveiled on the 13th September 1930. They were relocated and erected by Rotary in a new brick tower in 1978 which was handed to the council in 1980.
The Chief Secretary (Mr Chaffey) yesterday afternoon started the Narrabri soldiers' memorial clock and unveiled the honour tablets at the Town Hall. There were more than 1000 people present, many of them returned soldiers. When Mr Chaffey cut the ribbon which started the clock, he asked those present to stand with bared heads for a moment as a tribute to the men who had made the supreme sacrifice. As the clock chimed 4 o'clock, the "Last Post" was sounded. Mr Chaffey stated that the clock was evidence that the people had not forgotten the sacrifice made by the men who left Australia to fight overseas.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 15 September 1930.
|Address:||Tibbereena & Doyle Streets, Narrabri, 2390|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.325271|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||H.G.King (Clock) M.W. Hardy (Honour Rolls)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 13th September, 1930|
LEST WE FORGET
NARRABRI DISTRICT SOLDIERS MEMORIAL
THE CLOCK TOWER ON THIS BUILDING WAS ERECTED BY THE
PEOPLE OF THE NARRABRI DISTRICT TO PERPETUATE THE
NAMES OF THE MEN WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914.1919.
THEIR NAMES LIVE FOR EVER
THE NARRABRI AND DISTRICT SOLDIERS` MEMORIAL
IN 1926 CITIZENS FORMED A COMMITTEE TO ESTABLISH A PERPETUAL MONUMENT IN MEMORY OF THE DISTRICT SOLDIERS KILLED IN THE GREAT WAR OF 1914-1918. TO SHOW THEIR PERSONAL RESPECT, ONLY PRIVATE DONATIONS GIVEN VOLUNTARILY WERE ACCEPTED FOR FUNDING.
THE CHOSEN MEMORIAL WAS FOR THIS CLOCK TO BE ON A 10 METRE STONE COLUMN ON DOYLE AND MAITLAND STREETS, BUT DUE TO COSTS , PERMISSION WAS SOUGHT AND GIVEN TO ERECT THE CLOCK TOWER MEMORIAL ON THE TOWN HALL. IT WAS UNVEILED THERE IN 1930 AND HANDED DEBT FREE, TO THE NARRABRI MUNICIPAL COUNCIL TO HOLD IN PERPETUAL TRUST.
IN 1969 THE TOWN HALL WAS DECLARED UNSAFE AND DEMOLISHED IN 1970. IN 1980 THE CLOCK WAS RE-INSTATED ON THIS TOWER WHICH WAS PROVIDED BY THE ROTARY CLUB OF NARRABRI AS A COMMUNITY SERVICE AND TO CELEBRATE THE 75TH ANNIVERSARY OF ROTARY INTERNATIONAL.
HG KING OF NARRABRI SUPPLIED THIS ELECTRICALLY OPERATED CLOCK WHICH WAS AT THAT TIME A NEW TECHNOLOGY. MW HARDY OF NARRABRI PREPARED THE MEMORIAL ROLL TABLETS AND AJ HULBERT OF NARRABRI BUILT THE ORIGINAL TOWER ONTO THE TOWN HALL.