Mitchells Island War MemorialPrint Page
Mitchells Island War Memorial is a celtic cross erected at St Mark`s Church in memory of those from the district who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.
"Beautiful for situation" is St. Mark's Church of England, just overlooking the Scott's Creek ferry, the wooded hills behind, the waters of the creek below and in front and in the midst, the sacred building surrounded by God`s Acre— the whole makes indeed a beautiful picture. The members of the Church of England, of Mitchell's Island and Croki, who worship in St. Mark's have erected their memorial to the fallen soldiers so closely connected with them, by relationship and worship, on this ideal spot.
On Thursday (sic) afternoon, April 22, the memorial was unveiled by the Bishop of Newcastle. At noon the Bishop, assisted by Canon Phillips, conducted worship in the church in the presence of a crowded congregation, and administered confirmation to 26 young people. His words of explanation and Counsel to the confirmees could not fail to be helpful to them, and to to others who heard. At the close of this service, the clergy and the congregation went out to the spot in the church yard where the memorial had been erected. The congregation here was swelled by many who had been unable to find room in the building. After hymns and prayer the flags with which the memorial had been draped were drawn aside by the Bishop, who dedicated it "to the glory of God and the memory of those who fell in the war." He reminded his bearers of what they owed to the soldiers, whose heroism had not only saved us from all that defeat would have brought in its train, but had revived our faith in the inate heroism of our race, and shown us that the ordinary man had in him that which enabled him to rise to noblest achievement at the call of king and country. These men had heard the call, and had responded by laying down their lives; that they were with God in richer and fuller life, we could not doubt.The call to service and sacrifice was the constant call, and it was for us to heed and to follow in the train of the heroic band led by the Son of Man. For we, too, had it in us to do, if we would, great things in unselfishness.
The memorial is a Celtic cross of white Italian marble on two freestone bases. On the base of the cross are the words: To the Glory of God; and, In Loving Memory of the Men of Mitchell's Island who gave their lives for King and Country in the Great War, 1914- 1918. Below this are engraved the names. The whole structure is 10 feet high and is surrounded a freestone kerbing 7 ft by 6, an iron railing within which are white New Zealand pebbles. It was erected by Messrs Edstein, of Raymond Terrace and Taree. This, we believe, is the first memorial erected to the memory of, the fallen heroes in an open space on the Manning, and the people of Mitchell's Island have honored themselves in honoring the brave.
Manning River Times and Advocate for the Northern Coast Districts of New South Wales (Taree, NSW), 30 April 1921.
|Address:||St Marks Lane, St Marks Anglican Church, Mitchells Island, 2430|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.911777|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Edstein & Sons (stonemasons)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 22nd April, 1921|