Prospect & Sherwood War Memorial (Remembrance Park)Print Page Print this page

Prospect & Sherwood War Memorial commemorates those from the district who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. 

Following the war, communities around the country would build many monuments honouring the fallen. In fact the day after the Armistice, Prospect and Sherwood Council decided that a ‘suitable flagstaff’ would be erected at the Town Hall to proudly display the Empire’s Grand flag. In addition, a group of local citizens led by Ald. Tucker Jones, Ald. William Freame and Mr J.J. Smith, formed the Prospect and Sherwood Soldiers Memorial Association. The Memorial Association was a purely voluntary effort, yet managed to raise sufficient funding from the local community to purchase a block of land opposite the Town Hall in Arcadia St for the establishment of a war memorial. The final cost of the land and monument was £500, enough to ensure that no public money was needed to establish the memorial. The unveiling ceremony was held on the 9th December 1922.

The monument is made of a solid blue stone obelisk with polished panels displaying the names of each man killed in action. The gun on display at the memorial is a 105mm German Howitzer, serial number 2701. It’s believed the gun was manufactured in 1915. It was captured by the 17th Battalion, A.I.F. at Warfusee, France on the 8th August 1918. When unveiled, the memorial was surrounded by a neat cyclone fence constructed on a brick base. Over the years the memorial has seen some refurbishment, particularly in 2002 when new paving fencing and landscaping works were carried out. Originally known as Arthur Street Park, the park was renamed Remembrance Park in 2002. The Municipality of Prospect and Sherwood was renamed Holroyd Municipal Council in 1927.
Holroyd Herald Edition 2 - 2010.

The Prospect and Sherwood Soldiers' Memorial, which is being erected in front of the town hall, Merrylands, is now nearing completion. That the memorial is in existence is practically due to the efforts of one man, Mr. J.T. Smith, of Merrylands-road, who, as secretary of the memorial committee, has thrown his whole energy into the movement. About £60 is needed to complete the memorial, and this is being raised by a series of social functions. The first will be a Sunday concert, and the second a dance, both of which are being organised by the ladies' committee. When constructed, the memorial will have cost £550. Most of this sum has been raised outside the district, for only meagre enthusiasm was evinced in the municipality. The memorial, when completed, is to be surrounded by an iron railing and a garden patch. It is to be handed over to the council after the official opening.
Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate (Parramatta, NSW), 
1 March 1922.

The trustees of the war trophy guns in Prospect and Sherwood have agreed to the allocation of one Lewis gun to be mounted at the soldiers' memorial at the town hall, Merrylands. The trustees are Messrs. Freame, W. H. Lane and F. G. T. Jones.
Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate (Parramatta, NSW), 
5  April 1922.


Address:Arcadia & Arthur Streets, Merrylands Remembrance Park , Merrylands West, 2160
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.833721
Long: 150.971904
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1922
Left Side Inscription
Right Side Inscription
Source: NRWM, SKP, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design