Martins Creek Memorial HallPrint Page
Martins Creek Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those from the district who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.
On Nov. 20, 1918, a meeting was convened by the progress association for the purpose of erecting a memorial to fallen soldier's and also an honour roll. It was decided to erect a building to be called the Memorial School of Arts, the funds for which to be raised by collectors and sports meetings. During the first year the sum of £228/3/8 was raised, thus being increased during the second year to £409/0/5, and at the close of 1921 had preached £560/16/2. During this time Mr. E.J. Cann and Mr. George Priestley offered the committee two building allotments each, one to be selected, and it was finally decided to accept one offered by Mr. Priestley, and on which the hall is now being erected. The cash on hand at present is about £588, and the contract for erection is £799, and to this will have to be added the cost of piano, seating, lighting, books, etc., which will probably run into about £500 which the committee have every confidence in being able to raise. When completed this will be about the best hall in the district.
On Armistice Day, the memorial stone was laid by Hon. W. Ball, Minister for Works, but the attendance was very poor. The ceremony took the form of a memorial service, the president (Mr. O. Priestley)- acting as chairman. The ceremony opened with the National Anthem, followed by an appropriate hymn after which a short service was conducted by the Ven. Archdeacon Luscombe. On behalf of the committee the president presented Mr. Ball with a handsome silver trowel suitably inscribed and the Minister then declared the stone well and truly laid, and at the same time delivered an address of a very patriotic nature. The frame of the building in front was nicely decorated with the flags of the Allies, the memorial stone being draped with the Union Jack and the Australian flag, was hoisted at halfmast. The memorial consists of a handsome marble tablet standing out from a base of sandstone set in the brick wall and has a very neat appearance. The stone was very generously presented bv Mr. W. Parker, manager of the State Metal Quarry, and bears the names of those who enlisted from Martin's Creek and were killed in action.
Maitland Daily Mercury (NSW), 20 November 1922.
|Address:||58 Grace Avenue, Martins Creek, 2420|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.557762|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 11th November, 1922|
was laid by
The Hon. Richard Ball M.L.A.
Minister for Works and Railways
11th Nov. 1922