www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Lyndhurst Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

16-September-2016 (Roger Johnson)
16-September-2016 (Roger Johnson)

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown / Roger Johnson

A hall commemorates of those who served in World War One. The foundation stone for the hall was laid on the 17th January 1925 and the official opening of the hall was held on the 6th June 1925.

Saturday, June 6, was truly a red-letter day for the people of Lyndhurst and surrounding district, the occasion being the opening of new hall by Hugh Main M.L.A. The front portion of the building, which is constructed of locally made bricks, looks very imposing, being relieved with panels of cement, and on either side of the main entrance are two marble tablets bearing the names of the men who fought, some of whom, unfortunately, paid the supreme sacrifice.

The corner stone, which is of trachyte, bears the following inscription: ''This stone was laid by George Merrick Long,.C.B.E., D.D., Lord Bishop of Bathurst, and Major-General Sir Neville Howse, V.C., K.C.B., K.C.M.G., 17-1- 25."
The Carcoar Chronicle (NSW), 12th June 1925.

Location

Address:Russart Street, Lyndhurst, 2797
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.672871
Long: 149.04603
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 17th January, 1925
Front Inscription
MEMORIAL     LYNDHURST       HALL  1925
Left Side Inscription
THE GREAT WAR
1914-1918
LYNDHURST & DISTRICT
HONOR ROLL
FOR KING & COUNTRY
(Names)
Right Side Inscription
THE GREAT WAR
1914-1918
LYNDHURST & DISTRICT
HONOR ROLL
FOR KING & COUNTRY
(Names)
Source: MA,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design