Liverpool Memorial School of ArtsPrint Page
The Liverpool Memorial School of Arts, was built in 1924 as a memorial to World War One veterans. Two foundation stones are set into the walls beneath the main front windows on the front elevation. Both were laid on the 5th April 1924. One was laid by Major General C.F. Cox, KCMG and the by Alderman L.J. Ashcroft, the Mayor of Liverpool at the time.
The ceremony of laying the foundation-stones of the Liverpool Soldiers' Memorial School of Arts was performed in the presence of a large gathering. Major-General Cox laid the principal tablet, which was in memory of Liverpool soldiers, and the other, on behalf of the School of Arts, was placed in position by the Mayor of Liverpool (Alderman L. J. Ashcroft). Amongst those present were the Minister for Defence (Mr. E. K. Bowden), the Minister for Education (Mr. Bruntnell), and Messrs. Fitzsimons and Walker, Ms.L.A. Donations placed on the stones included £515 from the Liverpool Voluntary Workers' Association. Major-General Cox stated that Liverpool is to be the military centre for Australia. and shortly work in that direction would be started.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 8 April 1924.
|Address:||306 Macquarie Street, Liverpool, 2170|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.925194|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr H.E. Wearne (contractor)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 5th April, 1924|