Lismore Memorial BathsPrint Page
Lismore Memorial Baths were erected to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. Inside the entrance are two marble honour rolls listing the names of those who died in the First World War. The Memorial Baths were restored in 1988.
The building was erected on site of first Lismore saleyards. According to historians a deputation approached the council in 1926 to build a new baths on the site. The existing baths in the river at the foot of Ballina Street had the problem of frequently disappearing in floods. The project was jointly funded by the Council, the Returned Sailors Club, and local citizens. Designed by local architect, FJ Board based upon the Menin Gates at Ypres, Belgium.
After years of desultory discussion, a definite scheme to honor the fallen soldiers of Lismore and district has at last been adopted. A public meeting last night at which the attendance was too large for the accommodation available at the council chambers, endorsed a proposal to erect memorial baths, drawn up by the Returned Soldiers and Sailors Club, which is to take a leading part in financing the work. Speakers representing all shades of public opinion congratulated the soldiers on the step they have taken, characterising businesslike attitude with their demeanor when on active service. Promises of whole-hearted support for the soldiers were made, and over £600 was subscribed when the subscription list was open.
The Richmond River Express and Casino Kyogle Advertiser (NSW),
19 February 1926.
|Address:||179 Molesworth Street, Lismore, 2480|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.810806|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 1st October, 1927|
Erected To Perpetuate The Memory
Of The Men Of Lismore And District
Who Gave Their Lives
In The Great War 1914 - 1919
Greater Love Hath No Man Than This
That A Man Lay Down His Life For His Friends
Let Not Their Sacrifice Be In Vain
This Stone Was Laid By
Lt. Gen. Sir Harry Chauvel
C.C.M.G. - K.C.B.
1st October 1927
This Memorial Was Restored
LISMORE CITY COUNCIL
And Opened On ' Remembrance Day '
November 11, 1988
Cr P W Larsen Deputy Mayor of Lismore
A. G Lovett 2/2 Aust Inf Bn
Col. the Hon. B. P. Pezzutti, RFD, MLC
Director, Health Services - Army (NSW)