Holy Trinity War Memorial (Window)Print Page
The Holy Trinity War Memorial is a single pointed Gothic arch window depicting St. George on a white horse and spearing a winged dragon commemorating those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. The window was presented to the church by the relatives and friends of Lieutenant -Colonel Harold McIntosh and Trooper A.W. Oakes.
The Window also shows the Union Jack with a series of eleven separate brass plaques erected in memory of Corporal Thomas Walter Ford, Private Henry George Eardley Rolton, Trooper A. W. Oakes, James Ashley Rodda, Lieutenant Sydney Kelso Ford, Sergeant H. Rockliff, Sergeant Roy H. Bruce, Lieutenant-Colonel H. McIntosh, Sergeant A.O. Saunders, Private Colin Athol Cox, and Private William Thomas Papworth.
The ceremony of unveiling a memorial window in Holy Trinity Church, Kelso, was performed at the 11 o'clock service yesterday, by Mrs. Harold Mclntosh, in the presence of a large congregation. The window, which is situated in the north-west corner of the church, was presented by the relatives and friends of the late Lieut.-Colonel Harold Mclntosh and Trooper A.W. Oakes, who laid down their lives at the front while doing their duty for King and country At the bottom of the window the following inscription may be seen: "A.M.D.G.; and In memory of the fallen. Erected A.D. 1918." The window which was of stained glass, and bearing figures representing St. George (the Patron Saint of England) and the Dragon, was a magnificent work of art and adds greatly to the architectural beauty of the church. The beautiful flag (Union Jack) was presented by Robert Evans and dedicated in honor of those who have gone from the palish to serve their country.
The Bathurst Times (NSW), 6 May 1918.
|Address:||75 Gilmour Street, Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Kelso, 2795|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.412055|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 5th May, 1918|
IN MEMORY OF THE FALLEN
ERECTED A.D. 1918