Hay War Memorial High SchoolPrint Page
Hay War Memorial High School was erected in memory of those who served in World War One.
The Hay War Memorial High School was officially opened on ANZAC Day, 1923. It was built as the town's war memorial to honour the extraordinary commitment made by Hay and district citizens to the First World War. Public subscription from the Hay community collected between 1918 and 1923 helped to build the school.
Of the 641 men who served in World War One, 103 did not return. This impacted greatly on the Hay and district community, who had one of the largest enlistment rates for a small town in Australia. Stone tablets listing those who died in World War One flank the entrance to the school. A Korean War Plaque and an "Australia Remembers" plaque are also located at the school entrance.
The people of Hay and district have every reason to be well pleased with the successful consummation of the first objective of the Hay War Memorial Committee, which took pace on Wednesday (Anzac Day) afternoon in the presence of one of the largest and most representative gatherings of town and district residents which has ever assembled at a public function. The weather was ideal for the purpose. The proceedings were well carried out, those of a commemorative character with the reverent attention befitting the occasion. The Mayor, Mr. W. A. Beissel, presided. The initial stages, of the afternoon's work took place in the open air in the grounds in front of the building, where the asemblage was gathered.
The Mayor, on rising to open the proceedings, was received with applause. He said he was very pleased to see from that fine gathering that the people of Hay had not lost their interest in the record of their local volunteers. That gathering was a proof of that. They could not. have shown greater love for their soldiers than in subscribing their quota to the nost of that fine building. He believed the soldiers themselves were of opinion that there could be no more fitting memorial to their fallen comrades. The school would provide a first class education for the boys and girls of the district, for whom they went to the Front, and made the supreme sacrifice. The Mayor invited the Minister to unveil the rolls of the names of the Hay and district volunteers who lost their lives on active service. These are contained on two trachyte tablets, one on each side of the entrance porch. When Mr. Bruntnell had done thlis, the flags fell on to a number of wreaths and floral tributes which had been placed at the feet of the columns.
Excerpt from The Riverine Grazier (Hay, NSW), 27 April 1923.
|Address:||Pine Street, Hay, 2711|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.505402|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||R.M.S. Wells (architect)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 8th March, 1922|
HAY WAR MEMORIAL
FOR SO MUCH WHAT SHALL WE REPAY
Hay War Memorial High School was opened on ANZAC Day, 1923. It was built as the town's war memorial to honour the extraordinary commitment made by Hay and district citizens to the First World War.
Public subscription from the Hay community collected between 1918 and 1923 helped to build the school. A living memorial, in which Hay’s young people could be proudly educated, was seen as the most fitting commemoration of the sacrifice made by so many of Hay’s young volunteers.
Hay’s ANZAC Day service is held at the school each year and is a focus for commemoration of war service in the town. The school houses honour rolls for all the major twentieth century conflicts.
More recent additions to the school such as the library and art, technics and music building were built in 1973 and new classrooms were added in 1984.
Hay War Memorial High School proudly upholds the traditions and aspirations of the Hay community which had the foresight to build such a magnificent memorial.
The developing school museum, housing both war memorial and school exhibits, is open to the public during school hours. Please enquire at the main entrance for details or telephone 02 6993 1408.
Presented by Year 12, 2000 & 2001.
THE GREAT WAR
PRO TANTO QUID RETRIBUTUS
THE GREAT WAR
PRO TANTO QUID RETRIBUTUS
This Foundation Stone Of The
HAY WAR MEMORIAL HIGH SCHOOL
Being Erected To Commemorate The
Services Of The Hay District
Volunteers In The Great War
Was Laid By The
Honorable T·D·MUTCH M·L·A ·
Minister For Education
On 8th March 1922.
R·M·S· Wells F·I·A Architect,
P·Board C·M·G Director of Education