Harwood CenotaphPrint Page
Harwood Cenotaph commemorates those who served in World War One.
The unveiling of the Harwood Soldiers Memorial took place at Harwood on Saturday. The memorial takes the form of an obelisk, and the principal part of the design is executed in trachyte, a material akin to granite, which is got from quarries near Bowral. It is of a dark grey color, and takes a very fine polish. On a substantial foundation of concrete is placed a freestone basement, consisting of three tiers of steps, covering ground 7ft. square, and 1ft. 6in. high. The second trachyte stone is a beautifully polished block, weighing one ton and engraved thereon are sixty -six names. In front of seven of-these names is cut a Maltese Gross, indicating that they fell in the great struggle. The full height of this handsome memorial, is 17ft., with a basement of 7ft. square at the ground line. The execution of the memorial was placed by the committee in the hands of Matheson and Collins of Grafton and Maclean, and a large portion of the work was done at their monumental yards. The unveiling was performed by Mrs. Dorcey, the mother of three soldiers.
Daily Examiner (Grafton, NSW ), 20 September 1921.
|Address:||River Street, Harwood, 2465|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -29.427129|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Matheson & Collins (Grafton)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 17th September, 1921|
Erected By The Citizens Of Harwood Island
To Perpetuate The Memory Of The Gallant
Lads Who Forsaking All, Went Across The
Sea To Fight For Their King And Country In
The Hour Of Their Need, In The Great War
1914 - 1918, And In Loving Memory Of Those
Who Laid Down Their Lives For The Good Cause.
"Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mort"