Hamilton Methodist Church Roll of HonourPrint Page
Hamilton Methodist Church Roll of Honour commemorates members of the church and Sunday school who served in World War One. The board was originally unveiled in 1916 with additional names being added at a later date.
A special service was held in the Hamilton Methodist School Hall last evening, for the unveiling of the roll of honour, which has been erected to commemorate the services of twenty-eight members of the church and Sunday-school who are serving with the colours. Considerable interest was taken in the proceedings, and the large hall was completely filled. The roll of honour was unveiled by Mrs. Burnett, of Hamilton, mother of the first member of the church to volunteer for active service. As the Union Jack which covered the tablet was drawn aside by Mrs. Burnett, the congregation remained standing. When it stood unveiled the chairman read the names of the soldiers upon it. With bowed heads the audience continued standing while the Rev. O. O. Cocks engaged in prayer for the protection and restoration of the loved ones fighting the Empire's battles.
The roll of honour occupies a prominent position on the centre of the southern wall of the school hall. Its design and carvings are of appropriate character. The honour board is of Queensland maple, and its dimensions are 5 feet 6 inches by 3 feet 6 inches. The upper structure is embellished with carvings of the Waratah and wattle intertwined, and upon each side are four Christmas bells. The base contains carved trusses and roses. The names of the honoured men are depicted in plain block letters of gold. The board was constructed by Mr. D. Murray.
Excerpt from Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW),
13 June 1916.
|Address:||Beaumont & Denison Streets, Wesley Church, Hamilton, 2303|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.924997|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Honour Roll|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Mr.D. Murray|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 12th June, 1916|
ROLL OF HONOUR
[ Names ]