Soldiers Memorial HallPrint Page
The Soldiers Memorial Hall was originally erected in memory of those who served in World War One.
A number of plaques listing individual soldiers have been added to the exterior walls of the hall as well as honour rolls for subsequent conflicts.
The Honour Rolls have been listed separately by Monument Australia.
Guyra Memorial Institute was officially opened on Saturday afternoon in the presence of about 600 people. Mr. L. P. Dutton, president of the provisional committee, said the movement to erec the institute, which includes a soldiers' room, billiard room, reading room, and public library, was begun two years ago, and a liability of £3300 had been incurred in connection with it. A balance of £250 remained unpaid. Messrs. Bruxner, Drummond, and McLelland, members for the district, were present, and made appeals to those present to enable the building to be opened free of debt. As a result £120 was subscribed. Lieut.-Colonel H. F. White, D.S.O., C.M.G., who laid the foundation-stone in October last declared the building open. An honour roll, containing the names of the men who enlisted in the district, has been placed in the reading room. In addition to the amount directly donated, the proceeds from various stalls conducted for the occasion, and from other sources, have liquidated the debt, giving a surplus of over £100.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 1 November 1921.
|Address:||Bradley Street, Guyra, 2365|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.221822|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 16th October, 1920|
This Foundation Stone
Was Laid By
Lieut Col H. F. White D. S. O., C. M. G
16th Oct 1920.