Men of St Peter`s Parish Roll of HonourPrint Page
The Roll of Honour commemorates the men from the church parish who served in World War One. The roll is a typed parchment in a wooden frame which hangs near the main entrance of the church.
The original honour roll, which contained 40 names, was unveiled on the 26th March 1916. The existing roll does not appear to be the original.
At the usual morning service held at St. Peter's Church of England, East Maitland, on Sunday, the rector (Ven. Archdeacon Tollis) made special reference to the tablet which had been erected at the western end of the church, recording the names of the men of the parish who had volunteered to fight for King and country at the front in the great battle now raging on the other side of the world. It was hoped that the name of every brave churchman of St. Peter's who had nobly answered the Empire's call was shown. If any name had been omitted he would be glad to be notified of such omission, and would have it rectified. The list, as they would see, totalled 40, and he was proud of these Christian-minded men who considered it to be a duty to fight against oppression and wrong. He prayed to God that they would be successful in the stand they had taken for liberty and justice for the weak, and return safely to their homes and further enjoy the freedom which was the birthright of every Britisher where the flag of old England flew. He was delighted to see many khaki-clad worshippers present at the service, and he wanted them to know that no one loved them more than himself.
Many parents in the parish had given two sons, being all they had able to bear arms, while others had spared their only son, and more than one widowed mother had a boy in the ranks, one such having already lost his life. Two of the churchwardens had each a son under arms, one of whom had laid down his life, and the third warden had two sons at the front, one of these having been severely wounded. Death had overtaken tho son of another parishioner, a second son being at the present time also at the front.
The Maitland Weekly Mercury (NSW), 1 April 1916.
|Address:||47 William Street, St Peters Anglican Church, East Maitland, 2323|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.749504|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Honour Roll|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
St. Peter`s Parish
who Enlisted for Active Service
in World War I on behalf
of King and Empire