www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Dural Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

22-July-2014
22-July-2014

Photographs supplied by Wayne Moore

Dural Memorial Hall commemorates those who served in World War One.

The foundation stone of Dural Memorial Hall was laid on Saturday (Wattle Day). An energetic band of workers had all arrangements complete for the occasion, and intermingling of sprigs of wattle with General Ryrie's colours in the decoration scheme was most effective. Mrs. E. Roughley conveyed General Ryrie by motor from Pennant Hills to the scene, where the president, Mr. Marcroft, introduced him to the gathering. The president, in a neat speech, told some of his experiences with the general, whom he had known as the soldier`s friend in the South African War; and also in the Great War. The speaker referred to the work they were doing to commemorate the bravery of those who fought in the great war. The soldier's part, he said, was to honour his comrades who had not returned. After reading a brief report from the secretary, showing a credit balance of £552/10/6, the speaker explained the report, together with names of residents and all the Dural school children's names would be placed in a bottle, and laid in the foundation stone. He then thanked the general for his presence, and asked him to lay the stone. Sir Granville Ryrie expressed his pleasure at being honoured by being invited to lay the foundation stone of such a building. 
The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate
(Parramatta, NSW,) 7 August 1925.


Saturday was an epoch-making day in the history of Dural. For the first time on record, a Governor of the State was "officially" present. To Sir Dudley de Chair was given the honour of opening the new Soldiers' Memorial Institute. He was accompanied by Miss Elaine de Chair and Major Lloyd A.D.C. Prior to the ceremony, his Excellency inspected a guard of honour composed of returned men, in charge of Flight-Lieut. Mason and the Parramatta Second Troop of Boy Scouts, under the command of Scoutmaster Butler.  Assistant Scout Master Rose was also present. Mr W. W. Marcroft (president) in welcoming his Excellency and Miss de Chair, said they had experienced some ups and downs in seeklng a site upon which to place their memorial to the district's soldiers and sailors. The movement was initiated In 1921, with Mrs. Cassell as the principal figure, and when it reached the stage that it was possible for them to lay the foundation stone, they felt that it must be laid by someone who had stood by the boys in their hour of peril. So they invited General Sir Granville Ryrie to perform the ceremony.
The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate
(Parramatta, NSW), 17 November 1925.  

Location

Address:604 Old Northern Road, Dural, 2158
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.687222
Long: 151.025556
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Link:http://www.warmemorialsregister.nsw…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 14th November, 1925
Front Inscription

DURAL MEMORIAL HALL

Plaque :

In Loving Memory Of
Our Boys Who Fought
In The Great War.
1914 1919.

Plaque :

This Building Erected
By Residents Of The
District Was Opened
By His Excellency
Sir Dudley De Chair
4. (sic) Nov.1925 

 

Inscription in Proximity
1914  LEST WE FORGET 1918
Source: MA,NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design