St John`s Honour RollPrint Page
A wooden honour roll commemorates those from the parish who served in World War One.
The honour roll at St. John's Church Parry-street, Newcastle, was unveiled last evening by the Rev.Canon W.J. Ritchie, in the presence of a large congregation. The service was taken by the Rev. F. G. Drake, the rector, and the preacher was the Rev. Canon Ritchie, The preacher, in the course of his address, eulogised the men who had gone from the parish, whose names were on the memorial roll. He commended to his bearers the spirit which took them as necessary today. They fought and won the war for us. We had to fight to maintain the peace they won, and the same charactetristics were needed by us as shown by them.
In speaking of the fallen, men often spoke of them as lost or as though the sacrifice they made was too great. They certainly were not lost. They had only passed from one life to a higher one, and the sacrifice they made was not too great for the object obtained. The roll, which is of handsome design, is in Queensland maple, highly polished. It is 7ft. by 5ft. The design is a shield bearing three panels, flanked by heavy pillars, surmounted by a Cross, and it contains 86 names. Of this number 23 are of men who fell in battle.
Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW),13 February 1922.
|Address:||Corner of Darby, Parry & Dawson Streets, St John`s Anglican Church, Cooks Hill, 2300|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.934023|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Honour Roll|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 12th February, 1922|
[ Names ]