Concord Memorial Hall Print Page
Concord Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those who served in World War One.
The original hall was built by the now defunct Central Concord Ex-Servicemen`s Club. The site was secured by the club over a period of time for the sum of 600 pounds, beginning with a 60 pound deposit in 1927. Fund raising social events such as raffles, tennis tournaments and street processions allowed work to begin on stage one of the hall in 1930. Unemployed club members helped to lay the foundations of the hall during the early years of the Great Depression. Due to declining membership of the club after World War Two, the hall was vested in Concord Municipal Council with the stipulation that it be used as a community hall.
A memorial hall and club-house, erected at Central Concord by the Concord Ex-service Men's League, was opened on Saturday by F. B. Heritage. Mr. J. Howard, president of the league, stated that the building had cost £1500. It was intended later to erect a hall above the present building, together with a tower. The foundations had been laid by voluntary labour. There was a debt of £000 on the building. A carnival was being held for the purpose of liquidating that debt. Brigadier-General Heritage paid a tribute to the comradeship and co-operation of former soldiers. He said that this spirit had enabled them to erect this building, and if such a spirit were adopted by those in control of the State and Commonwealth Australia would be far better off.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 9 March 1931.
Note: The site is now the Concord Function Centre.
|Address:||138 Majors Bay Road, Concord, 2137|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.854353|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 7th March, 1931|