Chatsworth CenotaphPrint Page
Chatsworth Cenotaph commemorates those from the district who served in World War One.
On Saturday, the residents of Chatsworth and district came out in large numbers to witness the unveiling of the stone which has been erected in honor of the soldiers who enlisted from the Chatsworth Island Police Patrol district. It was estimated that about 300 were present. The stone which has a very massive and impressive appearance is erected on the bank of the North Arm just above the main part of the town and can be seen from a very fair distance. It is of granite and has a concrete foundation nine feet high square with a base of 4 feet 6 inches. It has two blocks and an obelisk. On the centre block are carved four wreaths; one on each face. Underneath four marble panels about 24 inches by I8 inches are inserted and on which the names of those who went and those who did not return are marked by a Maltese Cross. On the base a marble slab is let in which shows why the monument was erected.
Excerpt from Daily Examiner (Grafton, NSW), 4 October 1922.
|Address:||Chatsworth Road, Chatsworth, 2469|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -29.384979|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Messrs Matheson & Collins (Grafton)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 30th September, 1922|
Of Chatsworth Island And District
In Honor Of The Brave Lads
Who Fought In The Great War,
In Memory Of Those
Who Fell For God, King and Country.