Bungarby War MemorialPrint Page
Bungarby War Memorial was erected in memory of those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. The memorial, a polished grey granite obelisk, was refurbished and rededicated on the 24th April 1993.
Lieutenant Colonel T F. Rutledge, one of the Members for the district, on Sunday last performed the ceremony of unveiling the war memorial at Bungarby, erected recently by the residents of that area. There were about 120 people present, which speaks well for the interest displayed in perpetuating the memories of those who laid down their lives in the cause of freedom and civilisation. The memorial, in the form of an obelisk, is about 12 feet in height, with a marble column set on a base of trachyte, and bearing the names of the soldiers of that district who fell in the war. It is surrounded by a dwarf sandstone wall, enclosing a bed of chipped marble, and forms an impressive feature of the locality, it being erected in front of the Bungarby Hall. The residents made an active financial canvass and succeeded in collecting £170, which covered the cost the erection.
The Manaro Mercury, and Cooma and Bombala Advertiser (NSW),
27 July 1923.
|Address:||Bungarby Road, Bungarby Memorial Hall, Bungarby, 2630|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.675906|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
In everlasting Memory
Greater Love Hath No Man
Than He, Who Would Lay Down
His Life For His Friends.