Bulga Memorial GatesPrint Page
Bulga Memorial Gates were erected in memory of those who served in World War One.
An interesting, as well as historical, ceremony took place here on Saturday last, the occasion being the unveiling of Memorial and Honor Roll and opening of gates. The gathering, numbering about 150 to 200, was under the chairmanship of the President of the Shire (Mr A. S. Pankhurst), who gave an address on the nature of the gathering. The Mayor of Singleton (Alderman D. M'Dougall), addressed the gathering on the presentation of certificates, after which a number of certificates were presented to returned men. After the presentation the chairman called upon Mrs W. Dickenson, Sen., to unveil the Memorial Pillar and Mrs Eather to unveil the Honor Roll. The opening of the gates was performed by Mrs Eather, when all present passed through.
The memorial is set at the entrance to Bulga Recreation Ground. It consists of two pillars of Branxton stone, set on concrete bases. One carries the names of those who enlisted from here, and the other the names of those who paid the great price. The pillar with the honor roll bears 28 names cut and gilded into a shield on the face of the stone. The memorial pillar has a shield, with a ribbon scroll raised out of the stone and the words, "Our heroic dead." Immediately underneath are four names, finished off with the words, "Faithful until death." Between the pillars are a pair of cyclone gates. The pillars and double gates are the result of subscriptions by the people of Bulga. On each side of the pillars is a small cyclone gate with concrete post, and on each side of these posts are three panels of wicket fencing, being the result of efforts of the ladies of Bulga. The contractor was Mr H. J. Bartrop, of Singleton.
Singleton Argus (NSW), 21 October 1920.
|Address:||Inlet Road, War Memorial Gardens, Bulga , 2330|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.653461|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Manufacturer:||H.J. Bartrop (Singleton)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 16th October, 1920|