Warrior`s ChapelPrint Page
The Warriors' Chapel (the Chapel of St Michael's and St George ) is the diocesan memorial to the soldiers and sailors who died in service or were killed in action in World War One.
During the service Norman Suttor presented the Golden Book of Remembrance to the Bishop. The book was placed in the cenotaph, and the lamp of remembrance was lit. The chapel itself was the gift of Richard Gilmour, in memory of his parents.
Another noble gift has been made to the Bishop of Bathurst (D. Long) for the building of the new Cathedral. Mr. R. G. Gilmour has intimated that he is prepared to bear the cost of the erection of the ''Warriors' Chapel" which is to form a striking feature of the New Cathedral. Mr. Gilmour has made the gift in memory of his father and mother and to the abiding honor of those who gave their lives at the Great War. It is a very happy thought that there will thus be linked together the memories of two families of early Bathurst. By the side of the Mclntosh Choir and Sacrarium will stand the Gilmour Warriors' Chapel, and the memory will be perpetuated of families identified with the pioneering and development of our young nation.
The architect proposes that a figure of St. George, the patron Saint of England and typifying the ideal soldier overcoming the dragon should be incorporated as an appropriate emblem of the men who fought combining as it does the conception of love of country and hatred of cruelty and oppression. Bishop Long wishes to thank all those who have made gifts of old gold for the book of fame and asks for others to associate themselves in this way and to assist Mr. Norman Suttor in making the Roll of Fame as complete as possible.
The Bathurst Times (NSW), 27 January 1925.
|Address:||Church Street, All Saints Anglican Cathedral, Bathurst, 2795|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.417516|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 30th October, 1927|
GLORY OF GOD
Built This Chapel
In Loving Memory
Of His Parents
JOHN And EMMA
And In Honour Of
Those Who Gave
Their Lives In The