Armidale Cemetery Memorial AvenuePrint Page
The rows of trees separating the cemetery are a memorial to soldiers who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.
In 1922 Ald J.A.T. Webb proposed the development of a memorial avenue with public assistance to lead to the cemetery and lists of names of possible donors were published in the Armidale Chronicle, 27 May and 17 June 1922.
He offered to have a memorial avenue formed from the overhead bridge to the cemetery in July and asked permission to plant trees up to Galloway Street. Council also agreed to allow a select committee of citizens with the mayor acting as a representative to select suitable trees.
The Dumaresq Shire engineer, M. Smith offered to mark the alignment for the 140 proposed trees. Twelve months later, Webb sought permission to extend the trees to Dangar Street and he advised the Armidale Chronicle, 2 May 1923 that 125 trees had been paid for and the respective inscription plates attached.
|Address:||Memorial Avenue, Armidale Cemetery, Armidale, 2350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.529556|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Avenue of Honour|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1922|