Albury & District War MemorialPrint Page
This monument was erected by the citizens of Albury to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.
In 1915 visiting Town Planner Charles Reade proposed plans to erect a monument on the western hill to memorialise soldiers fallen in combat. The focus of the end of Dean Street was seen as a positive example of good town planning at the time.
During the 1920`s architect Louis Harrison submitted a design for approval - a simpler version being the one eventually built in 1925 by Albury contractor T. H. Bartleson. The foundation stone was laid in November 1924 as part of the Hume and Hovell centenary celebrations. The cost of the memorial exceeded ₤2000.
A Cross has been added to the Western side of the monument in time for the centenary of the ANZAC in April 2015. Apparently it was in the original design, but was not added during the original construction due to cash limitations.
|Address:||Memorial Drive, Monument Hill, Albury, 2640|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.079017|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Louis Harrison (Albury, NSW)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||T.H. Bartleson (Albury, NSW)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th April, 1925|
ALBURY AND DISTRICT
1914 - 1919
Albury War Memorial
Lest We Forget