www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Avenue of HonourPrint Page Print this page

03-March-2019
03-March-2019

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

Trees were originally planted on the 31st July 1918, in the park to commemorate those from the district who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.

The original Avenue of Honour fell into disrepair because of the age of the trees, and some vandalism of the memorial plaques.  The remaining plaques from the trees are now located on an honour roll in Liberty Hall. 

A new Avenue of Honour of four trees was planted in July 2018 

 

Location

Address:McMahon Street, King Georges Park, St Arnaud, 3478
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.620376
Long: 143.260008
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Avenue of Honour
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 31st July, 2018
Front Inscription

Sign :

St Arnaud Avenue of Honour

On the 31st July 1919, the St Arnaud Avenue of Honour was planted around the King George`s Park sports oval, the neighbouring tennis courts and children`s playground.  Three trees were dedicated in honour of the fallen soldiers from the First World War.  A red gum post with brass tablet bearing the soldier`s name was placed in front iof each tree.  One notable tree was dedicated by the Mayor, H. T. Edwards, to Sergeant William Young from St Arnaud, who was the first Australian to fire a shot under war conditions in 1914 from Fort Nepean in Portsea, Victoria.  The original map (extract above) is held at the St Arnaud & District Historical Society, and the brass tablets are displayed at the St Arnaud RSL.

On the 100th anniversary of the original tree planting on 31 July 2018, an official rededication ceremony was held to restore the St Arnaud Avenue of Honour and to commemorate those who who have served and died in war.  On this day, four trees were planted in honour of Sgt. William Young and the soldiers who the St Arnaud Secondary College School Houses are named after.  Lance Corporal Edgar C. Holmes, Sergeant Ernest D. Morshead and Private Cyril S. Wilmott.  These four trees were planted by Barry Keaman, former Councillor and the great nephew of Sgt. William Young, with the assistance of the St Arnaud Secondary College student captains, and the captains of each of the School houses.

The trees that surround the oval stand as silent sentinels to the sacrifices made for the freedoms that we enjoy today.

"Lest We Forget"

The St Arnaud Avenue of Honour restoration and 100th Anniversary Tree Planting projece was supported by the Victorian Government.

 

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design