www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Geranium Institute Memorial CairnPrint Page Print this page

03-April-2018
03-April-2018

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The cairn which contains the foundation stone of the former Geranium Institute (Memorial Hall) commemorates those who died in service or were killed in action in World War One.

The former institute was renamed the Geranium Memorial Hall in 1986. The hall was closed in 2004 and demolished in 2006. 

GERANIUM, May 25.-On Saturday the foundation-stone of the new hall was laid by Mr. F. Norton, an ex-resident, who was specially requested to return for the occasion. The stone was inscribed, "In memory of our fallen heroes." Mr. R. O. Jacob (president of the committee) referred to the splendid way in which the people of the district had made the building of the hall possible. Before laying the stone Mr. Norton spoke of the many difficulties that had been overcome by the committee, of which he is an ex-member, including the abnormal price of building materials and bad seasons. He spoke of the fine work done by the ladies. After the stone was laid "The Song of Australia" was sung by the gathering. The school children rendered an item. "Colors of the Flag," each child having a Union Jack. The fine sum of £55 was donated. 
Chronicle (Adelaide, SA), 3 June 1922.

 

 

 

Location

Address:Railway Terrace, Geranium, 5301
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.382001
Long: 140.162283
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2012
Front Inscription

In Memory Of
Our Fallen Heroes
This Stone Was Laid By
F. Norton, Esq.,
May 20th 1922.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design