www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Holy Trinity War Memorial TowerPrint Page Print this page

21-January-2018
21-January-2018

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The tower and spire of the Holy Trinity Church was erected in memory of the soldiers, sailors and nurses from Orange who served in World War One. The foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Bathurst on August 3, 1919, but the high cost of building prevented the execution of the work until 1925. 

The addition of the tower and spire to the Holy Trinity Church at Orange is a further step towards the completion of the fine brick church designed by the late Colonel Rowe. The present building commlttee of the church has decided to complete this  fine edifice as a suitable memorial to the soldiers, sailors, and nurses from the Orange district who served in the War. It is the ultimate intention of the committee to install a carillon of bells in the upper portion of the tower, which has been specially designed for this purpose. The architects are Sir Charles Rosenthal and Day, of Sydney, and the builder is Mr. L. Pither of Katoomba. The foundatlon-stone for the tower additions were laid by the Bishop of Bathurst on August 3, 1919, but the high cost of building prevented the execution of the work until the present time. 
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 13 May 1925.

Location

Address:259 Anson Street (corner of Anson & Byng Streets), Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Orange, 2800
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.281251
Long: 149.098846
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Monument Designer:Sir Charles Rosenthal & Day (Sydney, N.S.W.)
Monument Manufacturer:Mr L. Pither (Katoomba, N.S.W.)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 3rd August, 1919
Front Inscription
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
& IN MEMORY OF THE & SAILORS WHO FOUGHT IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 — 1918. 

THIS STONE WAS LAID BY Rt. REVd. BISHOP G.M.LONG D.D.L.L.D.
AUG. 3rd 1919
Source: MA, NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design