www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Church of the AscensionPrint Page Print this page

19-August-2017
19-August-2017

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The church was erected as a war memorial to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. Designed by Atkinson and Conrad, it was dedicated by Archbishop Sharp on 25 January 1925.

Trees were planted at the church, on the 18th April 1925, in memory of the men from the Church of England at Morningside and Cannon Hill who fell in World War One. 

Tomorrow at 10.30 a.m. Archbishop Sharp will dedicate the new church of the Ascension, at Morningside. This church has been built as the Church of England War Memorial at Morningside. Its foundation was laid on Centenary Sunday last year, by Bishop Le Fanu, and contains a centenary history, written by Dr. Cumbrae Stewart. Directly underneath the altar is the cement brine in which has been placed in a lead casket the names of soldiers who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War. The building itself is an imposing structure, 79 feet long by 46 feet wide, and is situated in the New Cleveland Road, in the centre of Morningside. The architects are Messrs. Conrad and Atkinson, and the builder Mr. P. V. Stewart, of Coorparoo. This church will become the parish church of the new parochial district of Morningside, and will be handed over by the rector of Balmoral parish (Rev.J. H. Steers) on Monday, January 26. to the Rev. H. Lilley, as vicar. He comes from Tweed Heads parish to be the first vicar of Morningside. 
Telegraph (Brisbane), 24 January 1925.

Location

Address:706 Wynnum Road, Church of the Ascension, Morningside , 4170
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.466709
Long: 153.074476
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Monument Manufacturer:Atkinson & Conrad

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 25th January, 1925
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design