www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Beersheba MemorialPrint Page Print this page

12-September-2018
12-September-2018

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The monument commemorates those who fought in World War One, and the horses which did not return.

Beersheba, a heavily fortified town 43 kilometres from the Turkish bastion of Gaza, was the scene of an historic charge by the 4th Light Horse Brigade on 31 October 1917. Beersheba anchored the right end of a defensive line that stretched all the way from Gaza on the Mediterranean coast. After two failed attempts to attack Gaza frontally it was decided to outflank it by turning the Turkish line around Beersheba. The attack was launched at dawn on 31 October but by late afternoon the British 20 Corps had made little headway toward the town and its vital wells.

Lieutenant General Harry Chauvel, commanding the Desert Mounted Corps, thus ordered the 4th Light Horse Brigade forward to attempt to secure the position. Brigadier William Grant responded by ordering light horseman of the 4th and 12th Regiments to charge at the unwired Turkish trenches. Employing their bayonets as "swords" the momentum of the surprise attack carried them through the Turkish defences. The water supplies were saved and over 1,000 Turkish prisoners were taken. The fall of Beersheba thus opened the way for a general outflanking of the Gaza-Beersheba Line. After severe fighting Turkish forces abandoned Gaza on 6 November and began their withdrawal into Palestine.

Location

Address:Kirby Street, , Dirranbandi, 4486
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.586147
Long: 148.230194
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:31-October-1917
Actual Event End Date:31-October-1917
Monument Designer:Ron Marshall

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 9th December, 2016
Front Inscription

"At a mile distant their thousand hooves were stuttering thunder, coming at a rate that frightened a man - they were an awe inspiring sight, galloping through the red haze - knee to knee and horse to horse - the dying sun glinting on bayonet points."

Trooper Ion Idriess "The Desert Column" 1932

In memory of all who fought in the Great War 1914 - 1918 and their horses who could not come home

The Charge of Beersheba took place at dusk on 31. 10. 1917 and is remembered as the last great cavalry charge.  The intention was to capture intact the water supply of the beersheba wells for horse and rider ; they were successful and were then in a position to move onto Jerusalem, a significant military victory in the Middle East War.

The charge by the 4th & 12th Light Horse Regiment of 800 horseman was led by Brigadier-General William Grant (1870 - 1939) who purchased the property Corack (Waldor) at Dirranbandi after the war and remained here until his death.

Further information is found on Dirranbandi Rail & River audio sign

Dirranbandi Arts Council & RSL 2016

This project is proudly supported by the Queensland Government.

"The Charge" by Ron Marshall www.lighthorseart.com.au

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design