Charge at Beersheba Print Page
Life-size monument commemorates the Charge of Beersheba by the 4th Light Horse Brigade during World War One. The monument was unveiled on the 98th anniversary of the event.
The Buderim Men’s Shed constructed the ‘Waler’ horse memorial as part of the Federal Government 100-year Centenary of Anzac Grant. It is fitting the monument is located in the Woombye CWA park, home of the 2nd Light Horse Regiment – Woombye Troop.
Beersheba, a heavily fortified town 43 kilometres from the Turkish bastion of Gaza, was the scene of an historic charge by the 4th Light Horse Brigade on 31 October 1917. Beersheba anchored the right end of a defensive line that stretched all the way from Gaza on the Mediterranean coast. After two failed attempts to attack Gaza frontally it was decided to outflank it by turning the Turkish line around Beersheba. The attack was launched at dawn on 31 October but by late afternoon the British 20 Corps had made little headway toward the town and its vital wells.
Lieutenant General Harry Chauvel, commanding the Desert Mounted Corps, thus ordered the 4th Light Horse Brigade forward to attempt to secure the position. Brigadier William Grant responded by ordering light horseman of the 4th and 12th Regiments to charge at the unwired Turkish trenches. Employing their bayonets as "swords" the momentum of the surprise attack carried them through the Turkish defences. The water supplies were saved and over 1,000 Turkish prisoners were taken. The fall of Beersheba thus opened the way for a general outflanking of the Gaza-Beersheba Line. After severe fighting Turkish forces abandoned Gaza on 6 November and began their withdrawal into Palestine.
|Address:||Park Street, CWA Park , Woombye, 4559|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.661076|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||31-October-1917|
|Actual Event End Date:||31-October-1917|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 31st October, 2015|