www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Boomerang March Re-enactment Print Page Print this page

11-January-2016
11-January-2016

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
A plaque commemorates the re-enactment of the Boomerang March of 1916 from Parkes to Bathurst. 

Seventy one men left Parkes by train on 19 January 1916. They marched from Daroobalgie to Donaghey's Hill, and then on to Forbes, Yamma Station, Eugowra, Gooloogong, Canowindra, Billimari, Cowra, Woodstock, Lyndhurst, Carcoar, Blayney, Newbridge, (to Georges Plains) and Perthville. They arrived in Bathurst with 202 recruits on 5 February 1916 at the same time as the Kookaburras from Tooraweenah and were given a combined reception. Each marcher was presented with a medallion in the shape of a boomerang, engraved with their name and town and the words "Come Back".

Location

Address:Short & Welcome Streets, Cooke Park, Behind Cenotaph, Parkes, 2870
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.140445
Long: 148.173721
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 7th February, 1999
Front Inscription
1916 - BOOMERANG MARCH RE-ENACTMENT - 1999
   THIS PLAQUE WAS UNVEILED BY THE
MAYOR OF PARKES,CR. ROBERT WILSON, OAM
   ON SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 1999
TO MARK THE RE-ENACTMENT OF THE
ORIGINAL BOOMERANG MARCH 1916
    FROM PARKES TO BATHURST 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design