West Wyalong Sailors & Soldiers Literary InstitutePrint Page
West Wyalong Sailors & Soldiers Literary Institute was erected as a war memorial to commemorate those who served in World War One. The building is now used as the Community Health Centre.
On Saturday the foundation-stone of West Wyalong Soldiers' Memorial Institute was laid by Senator Major-General Cox, in the presence of a large assemblage. Visitors from all parts of the Commonwealth were present, including Senator J. B. Hayes (Tasmania), Senator Geo. Thompson (Queensland), Senator A. Gardiner and W. L. Duncan (N S.W.), Messrs. Rowland Green, A. G. Manning, (N.S.W.), J. H. Lister (Victoria), E. B. Corser, H. Mackay (Queensland), W. Watson (W.A.), Ms.P., and Messrs. E. A. Buttenshaw and M. M. Flannery, Ms.L.A.
The party arrival was accorded a civic welcome. In the afternoon the foundation-stone was laid by Major-General Cox in the presence of nearly a thousand people. The local members and several visitors delivered short addresses, and an appeal by Major-General Cox and others resulted in more than £700 being received.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 2 September 1924.
The West Wyalong War Memorial building has been officially opened by Mr. A. B. Grellman, the president of the West Wyalong branch of the Returned Sailors and Soldiers' League. The memorial is a two-storey brick building. The whole of floor has been handed over to the sailors and soldiers as club rooms; and the whole of the ground floor to the Literary Institute. The building cost £5300, and furnishing the club rooms over £70.
Daily Advertiser (Wagga Wagga, NSW), 24 July 1925.
|Address:||186 Main Street, West Wyalong, 2671|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.922854|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 30th August, 1924|
SAILORS & SOLDIERS
THIS BUILDING IS DEDICATED TO
THE MEMORY OF THOSE WHO
SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 – 1918
FOUNDATION STONE LAID BY
SENATOR MAJOR GENERAL C.F. COX
C.B. C.M.G. D.S.O. V.D.
30TH AUGUST 1924
WEST WYALONG HERITAGE
BLAND SHIRE COUNCIL
LITERARY INSTITUTE &
& SAILORS' CLUB