www.monumentaustralia.org.au

St Paul`s Lych Gate (Manaro Grammar School Lych Gate) Print Page Print this page

22-October-2015
22-October-2015

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

St Paul`s Lych Gate was originally erected at the former Manaro Grammar School in memory of their former comrades who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.  The foundation stone for the lych gate was laid at the Grammar School by the vice President in April 1923. 

Those who interested themselves in the provision of the War Memorial lych gate at the now defunct Manaro Grammar School, Cooma, will be pleased to learn that the gate is now in course of re-erection at St. Paul's Church, under the supervision of Mr. Aubrey Morgan. It is well known that there has been a friendly dispute between the local Church authorities and Council of the Canberra Grammar School as regards the trusteeship of the gate.

The latter authorities claimed that the Canberra Grammar School was the logical succesor to the Manaro Grammar School, and was therefore entitled to the gate, The Rector of Cooma, however, insisted that as it was a Manaro Memorial it should remain on Monaro. With this view the liquidator of the Manaro school agreed, and the gate consequently handed over to the Rector and Wardens of St. Paul's as trustees in perpetuity. It is expected His Excellency the Governor will open the gate on his proposed visit to Cooma. 
The Manaro Mercury, and Cooma and Bombala Advertiser (NSW), 
12 December 1930.

Location

Address:136 Commisioner Street, St Paul`s Anglican Church, Cooma, 2630
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.237794
Long: 149.123091
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:18-April-1923
Actual Event End Date:18-April-1923

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 18th April, 1923
Front Inscription
This Stone Below Was Laid By
F. Blaxland Esq.
To Commemorate The Erection Of
This Lych Gate On This Site
On 18th April 1923.
Left Side Inscription
        Erected By
    The Old Boys
            Of
The Manaro Grammar School
To The Memory Of
Their Comrades Who Fell
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design