Cessnock Soldiers Memorial Hall Print Page
The former Cessnock Soldiers Memorial Hall was erected in memory of the men of the district who served in World War One. The building is now being leased for office space.
The main thoroughfare of Cessnock, the largest and most business-like of the main towns on the South Maitland coalfields, will be distinctly improved in appearance by the erection of the large Cessnock District Soldiers' Memorial Hall, now nearing completion in Vincent-Street. Although its cost will be under £3000 the handsome building of two floors, built of brick on concrete foundations is constructed on a plan which combines grace and solidarity. Mr. W. Pender, a West Maitland architect, drew the plans, and the contractor is Mr. Ernest Palmer. Messrs. W. J. Lane and J.M. Lee are the president and secretary respectively of the movement which has raised the money and carried out the project. The site was donated by the State Government, and the foundation-stone was laid by General Rosenthal.
The names of about 700 soldiers are to be inscribed on marble tablets to be erected on each side of the entrance hall; but, strange to say, the soldiers themselves are unlikely to derive the benefit from its erection that was originally intended. The spirit of unrest which is always a feature of the coalfields seems to have eaten into the returned soldiers' organisation there, and the local R.S. and S.L. League is practically defunct. The two large rooms on the ground floor were intended to be fitted up for the use of returned soldiers, one as a billiard-room and the other as a meeting-room. The committee responsible for the movement has, however, had a thankless task, and it seems almost certain now that the School of Arts will take over these rooms. However, the memorial will remain a permanent feature. The memorial will be officially opened in about three weeks’ time.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 9 August 1922.
|Address:||14 Vincent Street, Cessnock, 2325|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.83261|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Mr W. Pender (architect)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr Ernest Palmer (contractor)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 11th February, 1922|
SOLDIERS MEMORIAL HALL
THIS STONE WAS LAID
SIR CHARLES ROSENTHALL( sic),
11th FEBRUARY 1922.