The "Waler" Print Page
A monument commemorates those from Wisemans Ferry and the MacDonald Valley who served in the Light Horse during World War one, and their horses known as the "Walers". Approximately 140,000 horses (only one of which was allowed back into Australia) served in the Desert Campaign in World War One.
In March 1916 the ANZAC Mounted Division (1st, 2nd and 3rd Light Horse Brigades and New Zealand Mounted Rifles Brigade) was formed in Egypt under the command of Major General [later Lieutenant-General Sir] Harry G. Chauvel. In August, as part of the British and allied forces, the Division defeated a Turkish advance to Romani, and forced the enemy back to the line Gaza-Beersheba.
During 1917 the Division was involved in the initial battles for Gaza and in the capture of Beersheba, where the Light Horse, armed only with rifles and bayonets, acted as cavalry. In August the Desert Mounted Corps was formed, consisting of the ANZAC Mounted Division (1st, 2nd Light Horse and New Zealand Brigades), Australian Mounted Division (3rd, 4th Light Horse and 5th Yeomanry Brigades) and the Yeomanry Division.
|Address:||Old Northern Road, Wisemans Ferry Public Reserve, Wisemans Ferry, 2775|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.38416|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th April, 2015|
This Memorial Was Erected
By The Residents Of Wisemans Ferry
& The MacDonald Valley
In Memory Of The "Lighthorsemen"
Who Enlisted From This District During
The Great War Of 1914 - 18
And Their Mounts, The Legendary "Walers"
[ Names ]