www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sutherland Memorial School of Arts Print Page Print this page

Memorial School of Arts : 14-August-2014
Memorial School of Arts : 14-August-2014

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams
The Sutherland Memorial School of Arts was erected as a soldier's memorial in memory of those who served in World War One. The foundation stone was laid by The Governor of New South Wales, Sir Walter Davidson on the 28th May 1921 and was officially opened in 1922. 

Opportunity was taken of the visit of the Governor to Sutherland on Saturday, to lay the foundation stone of the Memorial School of Arts. Cr. Ainsworth (Shire President) described the beauties of the district to His Excellency, and stated that he thought Sutherland Shire had a wonderful future in front of it. Over 30 years ago the Progress Association had thought of building a School of Arts, and had purchased land on the left side of the line. Recently it was suggested that the building could be made a fitting memorial to Sutherland soldiers. It had been decided to sell the original land, and purchase the present site (near Lobb's Hall) and to go on with the work. The first step would be performed by His Excellency this afternoon. £500 had been lent by the Commercial Bank, and it was proposed to hold various functions to pay the cost of erection. Cr. Ainsworth then handed a silver trowel to the Governor to perform the ceremony of laying the foundation stone. After laying the stone His Excellency said he thought a School of Arts was a good memorial to those who left this end of the district to do their bit in the Great War. He hoped that they had chosen a spot which would become the centre of social and commercial intercourse of this end of the Shire.
St George Call (Kogarah, NSW), 3 June 1921.


The official opening of the Sutherland Memorial School of Arts will be performed by the Hon. Albert Bruntnell, Minister for Education, on Saturday, 5th August, at 3 p.m. He will at the same time unveil a beautiful Honour Roll erected in the building and containing 93 names of soldiers who enlisted from the Sutherland township area. As the building has been erected as a fitting tribute to the gallantry of our boys, they have now been made honorary life members of the Institute. It is hoped that the public will turn out 'en masse' on Saturday to do honor to the boys who fought for us in the Great War.
St George Call (Kogarah, NSW),  4 August 1922.

Location

Address:25 East Parade, Sutherland, 2232
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.031134
Long: 151.057058
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 28th May, 1921
Front Inscription
    MEMORIAL
SCHOOL of ARTS
Left Side Inscription
SUTHERLAND MEMORIAL
 SCHOOL OF ARTS
    REOPENED
          ON
AUGUST 9th 1986
         BY
CR
KEVIN SKINNER
SHIRE PRESIDENT
Right Side Inscription
THIS FOUNDATION STONE
WAS LAID BY
HIS EXCELLENCY
SIR WALTER DAVIDSON  K.C.M.G.
GOVERNOR OF NEW SOUTH WALES
MAY 28th. 1921
Cr. W.R. AINSWORTH Pres
A.J.COOPER Hony Treas
R.E.WICKHAM Hony Secy

 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design