Fallen Soldiers Memorial FountainPrint Page
The Memorial Fountain commemorates those who lost their lives in World War One. Funding was provided under the Anzac Centenary Grants program to rebuild the fountain, repair the memorial scroll and construct a paved pathway to access the memorial. The original fountain was unveiled on the 26th January 1925.
FOUNTAIN UNVEILED. GLADSTONE, January 28.— Although a splendid memorial hall has been erected to those who fought and died in the Great War, it was thought that it would be appropriate to have some other memento; and the idea of erecting a memorial fountain in Tresylva Park was brought to fruition by the energy and perseverance of Mr. Leslie Harris, supported by a strong committee. Through their efforts a drinking fountain now stands in Tresylva Park. The memorial consists of a pond 12 ft. in diameter, with concrete walls 2 ft. 2 in. high. In the middle of the pond is a cast-iron fountain placed on two square pediments, covered with brown glazed tiles, surmounted by a metal representation of a stork— the whole being about 10 ft. high. In the pond at regular intervals are three rose sprays and three nozzles. The marble scroll bears the inscription:— “In loving and grateful memory of those who fell in the Great War, 1914-1918.” At the back is a drinking fountain, and the whole structure is surrounded by a flower garden, while in the pond itself are numerous water lilies, supplied by the director of the Botanic Garden, Adelaide. Mr. J. Milne planted them, and Mrs. L. Harris and Miss R. Flavel superintended the planting of the garden. Mr. F . E . Delsar was responsible for the execution of the plans. Foundation Day was selected by the ornamental grounds committee for the unveiling of the roll of honour, and Sir Henry Barwell was invited to perform the ceremony. Many people were present, and everything passed of successfully.
The Mayor (Mr. C. O. Bennett ) said that not only the town council, but the people generally, appreciated the work of the ornamental grounds committee. The successful carrying out of the memorial fountain scheme was largely due to the secretary of the ornamental grounds commitee (Mr. L. Harris), whose work had resulted in the memorial being opened free of debt. Sir Henry Barwell expressed pleasure at being present, and that some of the returned soldiers were at the Function. He was especially glad to see Mr. J. F. Pearce, an old Crimean veteran, who in a few days, would celebrate the eighty sixth anniversary of his birth. It was well, be added, that everything possible should be done to keep green the memory of those who fell in the war.
The Register (Adelaide) 30th January 1925.
|Address:||West Terrace & Cross Street, Tresylva Park , Gladstone, 5473|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.267766|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2015|