Kapunda Soldiers Memorial Garden Print Page Print this page

The Kapunda Soldiers Memorial Garden was dedicated in memory of the fallen of World War One.

It was a pleasing thought which prompted the late Mr. S. E. Hancock to move in the matter of establishing a garden at Dutton Park to perpetuate the memories of the soldiers from Kapunda and district who lost their lives in the Great War, and Anzac Day marked, to a certain extent, the culmination of that thought.

The garden which is just inside the main entrance of the park, was laid out on a plan prepared by Mr. Reade (late town planner), and is surrounded by a substantial fence, the posts being of jarrah. Inside the fence a hedge of cypress has been planted, and is making splendid headway. Imposing gates have been erected, and just in front of the main entrance are two war trophies (trench mortars) presented to Kapunda and district by the military authorities. Mr Dutton performed the opening ceremony. It was intended to provide a suitable plate in the garden for each soldier from Kapunda and district who had fallen in the war, and if any of the parents applied to the committee an allotment would be made and a plate placed to any particular shrub that might be selected.
The Register (Adelaide), 27 April 1923.


Address:Baker Street, Dutton Park, Kapunda, 5373
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.337015
Long: 138.907949
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Garden
Monument Theme:Conflict


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 25th April, 1923
Front Inscription
Source: TOH, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design