www.monumentaustralia.org.au

War Memorial Chapel of St Alban'sPrint Page Print this page

04-November-2017
04-November-2017

Photographs supplied by John Huth

War Memorial Chapel of St Alban's was erected to commemorate old boys from the school who enlisted in World War One. It was consecrated in 1921 by the Archbishop of Brisbane and dedicated to St. Alban.

The memorial chapel in memory of those boys of the Southport school who went to the front has been commenced. The west end will have an organ loft and a screen of Queensland oak forming an ante-chapel in which will be placed the honour board. The names of all those who have enlisted will be inscribed upon it with a special panel for those who have laid down their lives. The eastern window will depict The Ascension and the smaller windows which cost about £50 each, are anticipated to be provided in memory of certain boys by their friends. The estimated cost of the Chapel is about £7,500 of which a fair amount is already subscribed.
The Brisbane Courier, 17th February 1921.

 

 

 

Location

Address:2 Winchester Street, The Southport School, Southport, 4215
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.986552
Long: 153.414328
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Monument Designer:H. W. Atkinson & Conrad (architects)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 13th November, 1921
Front Inscription

To the glory of God and in memory of those members of the School who offered themselves for their country on the Great War 1914 - 1018

This Chapel dedicated to St Alban was consecrated on 13th November 1921 by Gerald Archbishop of Brisbane.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design