www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Memorial Chapel of Saint PeterPrint Page Print this page

04-August-2013
04-August-2013
Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The Chapel of Saint Peter commemorates the men of the Mercantile Marine who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. 

But, complete as is every corner of the institute, no part is better equipped than the memorial chapel. This veritable sanctuary of peace sprang out of war. It was erected, at a cost of over £1100, by the members of the Harbor Light Guild, in memory of the officers and men who have given their lives since hostilities began. The fittings are entirely of Australian woods. Already the chapel holds memorials of historical interest. The altar lecturn was given in memory of Commander Elwell, who was killed at Rabaul in the early part of the war. The font commemorates two heroes-Nigel Hockley and Fred Hyde-who lost their lives at the hands of the Germans after having survived the actual torpedoing of their ship, the Galgorm Castle, off the coast of Ireland. The mother of one of these lads wrote out that her son had died as an Englishman should-fighting for the right. This noble sentiment is suitably paraphrased in the engraved inscription. Practically everything enshrined in the chapel has its own sentimental tale. The very alms salver, of beaten copper studded with agate, is fragrant with the memory of a saintly woman. The eye of the sailor is caught, and held, by a pulpit, fashioned like a ship's hull, and only a twist of rope guides the pilot up the step.
Excerpt from Leader (Melbourne),  21 September 1918.

Location

Address:717 Flinders Street, Mission to Seafarers, Docklands, 3008
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.822408
Long: 144.951305
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1917
Front Inscription

Memorial Chapel of Saint Peter

This chapel was built with funds collected by the Ladies`Harbour Lights Guild to the greater glory of God and to commemorate the brave and faithful men of the Mercantile Marine who gave their lives in the Great War

They are too near to be great,
but our children shall understand,
when and how our fate,
was changed and by whose hand.

Erected 1917

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design